19 February 2008

Cultural confusions

Through corresponding with other 'Weaverettes' across the globe, and browsing other blogs recently, I have realized how we do things differently down here.

For example, words like realize and organize, we spell with a s not a z. Yes, I "correct" all my words when I post anything here, for my American friends.
But when I post on South African loops, I use SA English.

Another thing that I have noticed is that we leave the word "that " out of sentences a great deal. For example, my last sentence would have been spoken as: "Another thing I've noticed is we leave the word "that" out of sentences a great deal."


I am very aware of adding my that now that I know that Americans use that correctly ;-)

I've found Google a rather useful tool. I had to look up the the meaning of 'mahalo' today. It means thank you in Hawaiian, by the way.

Other expressions and simple cultural differences that I've had trouble with are: sweaters, sneakers, binders, lolly-gagging and math to name a few.

One expression that I have not quite grasped is "you could shake a stick at it".
My mind conjures up an image of a fairy waving wand, but I'm probably miles away from the true meaning.


Anyway, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in hearing about some more cultural differences?

Perhaps you'd like to know why most South Africans would turn up their nose to a plate of gravy and biscuits?

Would you like to read more of our varied land and bright culture? Post your comments, or e-mail me!

4 comments:

  1. I love hearing about cultural differences. That's one of the "bright" sides of hubby being deployed - we get to see another culture through his eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! I love hearing about the differences!

    And I might disagree with you about "that." We Americans definitely do "that", - but I'm not sure that we are the correct ones. When I was in college I had a professor who was constantly correcting it. He said (that) if you could leave the word that out of the sentence, it shouldn't be there.

    Oh, It drove me crazy because I had to proofread so carefully for his class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, I can imagine the confusion over sweater, sneakers, binders, lolly-gagging - but math?? You have to share that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments, ladies.

    Maybe I'm just silly, but we call it Mathematics, or Maths here and somehow the word math read something completely odd in my brain when I first read it.

    I appreciate hearing about the use of word 'that'. I imagine your college professor must have been right. I just always presumed it was bad SA English. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from other families, please leave your comments ;-)