17 January 2009

On the go: Transportation Chapter

School has started for 2009. We've started with lots of fun field trips for our Weaver curriculum chapter.

We've been studying the transportation chapter in Weaver Vol 1, and had the opportunity to go to various places in Port Elizabeth with children.We did the airport, the harbour, and the highlight was a visit to the Volkswagen Museum in Uitenhage, also known as Auto Pavilion. It really was an awesome place, we'll have to visit when the children are older.
There was an interesting display where a new model beetle (what do you call them?) had been cut in half with a laser, and every few minutes the car would "open up" in half so that you could view the interior. That was amazing.

We also had some fun with Dad, who made the balloon project. (Okay slightly revised, it became a parachute instead) We cheated a bit, I was clearing out my sewing stuff and found an old umbrella, you know the plasticy kind with mulit-colours? How why I had not thrown that out, is just a mystery, but it now has a good use. The children were all for testing it by jumping off the deck, but we managed to persuade them to test drive it with Barbie dolls instead. It really worked better than we had anticipated and a gust of wind had barbie on the roof withthe parachute. What fun!
Dad also took out the old steam engine and demonstrated some science there. Joel really enjoyed it and it was quite amusing hearing him explain it all to Emma. I learned alot too!

And if anybody can leave a comment on how to figure out posting my images in blogspot, as well as adding movies from my camera it would be a great help! They keep coming out centred wrong and I can't move them. Arghhh....

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lindy,

    I too am a South African Homeschooling Mom and have been following your blog for some time now.

    I have also struggled with the display of photos, as they look completely different after you publish them. What I have settled on doing is uploading them one at a time and choosing centre for each one. It is quite a pain.

    I would love it if you would stop by sometime at http://momstheword-mandi.blogspot.com/.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mandi
    I love meeting other SA HS Moms! Thanks for popping by, and your suggestions, that does sound tedious indeed.
    I've checked out your blog. It's great. Don't forget to add it to the SA Homeschool bloggers, if you are interested, the link is at the bottom of my blog.
    Smiles,
    Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you are having a great time!

    I use blogspot, and with the pictures the trick is to choose either center or left if you are doing multiple pictures. If you choose right, then you want there to be text only to left. I do upload multiple pictures at the same time, but when doing several, I just put them in the middle. If you want to do 2 on one line, say "left" on both of them and then you can arrange them side by side. At least on my template - wonder if the templates are different?

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from other families, please leave your comments ;-)