09 May 2009

Happy Mothers Day!

To all the dear mothers reading this, may you be blessed today. It is great to be honoured on this day, but it is also worthwhile re-thinking exactly what we're doing and why.



The Girl I Used To Be
by Rowena K. Lewis

She came tonight as I sat alone, the girl I used to be.

And she gazed at me with her earnest eye, and questioned reproachfully:

Have you forgotten the many plans and hopes that I had for you?

The great career, the splendid fame, all the wonderful things to do?

Where is the mansion of stately height, with all of its gardens rare?

The silken robes that I dreamed for you, and the jewels in your hair?

And as she spoke, I was very sad, for I wanted her pleased with me.

This slender girl from the shadowy past, the girl that I used to be.

So gently rising, I took her hand, and guided her up the stair

Where peacefully sleeping, my babies lay, innocent, sweet, and fair.

And I told her that these are my only gems, and precious they are to me;

That silken robe is my motherhood, of costly simplicity.

And my mansion of stately height is love, and the only career I know

Is serving each day in these sheltered walls, for the dear ones who come and go.

And as I spoke to my shadowy guest, she smiled through her tears at me.

And I saw that the woman that I am now, pleased the girl that I used to be.



2 comments:

  1. Wow!I just so needed to read this today...Thankyou for posting it.I love the words,so powerful,so true,so perfectly putting it all in perspective for me.Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word.This is beautiful. Could I please post it on my blog with a link to your blog? I hope you don't mind if I do.And when we return, I hope we do end up in the E Cape some day so you can teach me to sew!LOL.Because of all the deaths in the family, that resulted in widows and orphans, we will shorten our time here to maybe 8 months or so, depending on how needed we are, and if we can leave people trained in the skills the guys here want.Will have more info on the exact roles tomorrow after my husband meets with the director. I know one aspect will be to get religious book selling to improve.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from other families, please leave your comments ;-)